The Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education recognise students, teachers, support officers, schools and education partners (volunteers, mentors and organisations) who demonstrate an outstanding and innovative contribution to STEM education in Queensland.
2019 marks the 16th year of the awards named after Professor Peter Doherty, a Brisbane-born Nobel Prize-winning scientist who was educated at Indooroopilly State High School and the University of Queensland.
The awards categories are:
- Outstanding Senior STEM Student – $5,000 each
- Outstanding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Senior STEM Student - $5,000 each
- Outstanding Teacher of STEM – $5,000 each
- Outstanding STEM Support Officer – $5,000 each
- STEM Education Partnership – $5,000 each
- Outstanding School STEM – $5,000 each.
Attendance at the award ceremony
It is anticipated that the successful applicants will attend the awards ceremony. If required, travel and accommodation expenses will be paid by the Department of Education for the award recipients. For student awards, the travel and accommodation expenses will also be paid for 2 accompanying adults if required.
How to apply
Nominations for 2019 are now
Winners will be announced at the ceremony 9 August 2019, the commencement of National Science Week 10–18 August 2019.
For further information about the Peter Doherty Awards for Excellence in STEM Education, please email