School Enrolment Management Plan
Burpengary State Secondary College recognises as its prime obligation, the provision of access to an appropriate educational service for students whose principal place of residence is within the school’s catchment area.
Because of enrolment capacity and growth, Burpengary State Secondary College may be unable to meet this obligation in the future unless action is taken to manage enrolments. The Principal must restrict the enrolment of out-of-catchment students to ensure in-catchment students can enrol at their local state school without requiring additional facilities.
Student enrolment capacity
Burpengary State Secondary College has a maximum student enrolment capacity of 1,100 students.
The school's Programs of Excellence in Community Leadership Excellence, Science and Engineering Innovation, Sport Innovation, Arts Excellence, Robotics and Automotive Innovation are supported through the allocation of a defined number of places. Places in the Programs of Excellence will only be available to out-of-catchment enrolments once the demand for in-catchment enrolment has been met and sufficient student enrolment capacity has been reserved for future in-catchment growth. Currently Burpengary State Secondary College has the capacity to enrol:
- 112 in Community Leadership Excellence
- 112 in Science and Engineering Innovation Excellence
- 112 in Sport Innovation Excellence
- 112 in Arts Excellence
- 112 in Robotics and Automotive Innovation Excellence.
Local catchment area
A school's local catchment area is the defined geographical area from which the school is to have its core intake of students.
Burpengary State Secondary College operates under a negotiated catchment area.
The school's catchment map is available from
Out-of-catchment students applying for enrolment at the school are placed on a waiting list, assessed in order of receipt and prioritised as follows:
- For schools with a Program of Excellence
- Subject to available student enrolment capacity, places will only be available to out-of-catchment enrolments if they satisfy the school's criteria for placement in that particular Program of Excellence and the defined number of places has not yet been filled by enrolments from within the catchment. Sufficient student enrolment capacity must be reserved for future in-catchment growth. (Please note: The enrolment criteria for the Program of Excellence is available from the school.)
- All other out-of-catchment enrolment applications.
Enrolment policy and procedure
enrolment policy includes further information about in-catchment and out-of-catchment enrolments, acceptance and assessment processes, as well as any associated fees and decisions on enrolments.
For further information regarding School Enrolment Management Plans, please refer to the
School Enrolment Management Plans Procedure or contact the school Principal.
This updated version of the School Enrolment Management Plan for Burpengary State Secondary College was gazetted on 14 September 2018.
The School Enrolment Management Plan is internally reviewed each year, and if required, updated to reflect any changes to student enrolment capacity and/or Programs of Excellence.