School Enrolment Management Plan
Maleny State High School recognises as its prime obligation, the provision of access to an appropriate educational service for students whose principal place of residence is within the school’s catchment area.
Because of enrolment capacity and growth, Maleny State High School may be unable to meet this obligation in the future unless action is taken to manage enrolments. The principal must restrict the enrolment of out-of-catchment students to ensure in-catchment students can enrol at their local state school, without requiring additional facilities.
Student enrolment capacity
Maleny State High School has a maximum student enrolment capacity of 757 students.
The school’s Program of Excellence in Music is supported through the allocation of a defined number of places. Places in the Program of Excellence will only be available to out-of-catchment enrolments once the demand for in-catchment enrolment has been met and sufficient Student Enrolment Capacity has been reserved for future in-catchment growth. Currently Maleny State High School has the capacity to enrol:
- 54 students in the Music Excellence Program of Excellence.
Local catchment area
A school’s local catchment area is the defined geographical area from which the school is to have its core intake of students.
Maleny State High School operates under a negotiated catchment area.
The school's catchment map is available from
Maleny State High School is adjacent to Mary Valley State College which provide schooling from Years Prep–10. Therefore Maleny State High School provides Years 11–12 to a wider catchment area. This means that the school has two different catchment areas, i.e. one for junior secondary (for Years 7–10) and another for senior secondary (Years 11–12).
Out-of-catchment students applying for enrolment at this school are placed on a waiting list, assessed in order of receipt and prioritised as follows:
- For schools with a Program of Excellence
- Subject to available student enrolment capacity, places will only be available to out-of-catchment enrolments if they satisfy the school’s criteria for placement in that particular Program of Excellence and the defined number of places has not yet been filled by enrolments from within the catchment. Sufficient student enrolment capacity must be reserved for future in-catchment growth. (Please note: The enrolment criteria for the Program of Excellence is available from the school.)
- For secondary schools with a wider catchment area for Years 11–12:
- Students who live within the senior secondary catchment but not within the junior secondary catchment.
- All other out-of-catchment enrolment applications.
Enrolment policy and procedure
The enrolment policy includes further information about in-catchment and out-of-catchment enrolments, acceptance and assessment processes, as well as any associated fees and decisions on enrolments.
For further information regarding School Enrolment Management Plans, please refer to the
School Enrolment Management Plans procedure or
contact the school principal.
This updated version of the School Enrolment Management Plan for Maleny State High School was gazetted on 14 September 2018.
The School Enrolment Management Plan is internally reviewed each year, and if required, updated to reflect any changes to student enrolment capacity and/or Programs of Excellence.