School Enrolment Management Plan
Maryborough State High School recognises as its prime obligation, the provision of access to an appropriate educational service for students whose principal place of residence is within the school's catchment area.
Because of enrolment capacity and growth, Maryborough State High School may be unable to meet this obligation in the future unless action is taken to manage enrolments. The Principal must restrict the enrolment of out-of-catchment students to ensure in-catchment students can enrol at their local state school without requiring additional facilities.
Student enrolment capacity
Maryborough State High School has a maximum student enrolment capacity of 1,320 students.
Programs of Excellence
The school’s Programs of Excellence are supported through the allocation of a defined number of places. Places in the Programs of Excellence will only be available to out-of-catchment enrolments once the demand for in-catchment enrolment has been met and sufficient Student Enrolment Capacity has been reserved for future in-catchment growth. Currently Maryborough State High School has the capacity to enrol:
170 students in the Performing Arts Futures Program of Excellence
- 400 students in the Sporting Futures - Hockey, Rugby, Rowing, Football Program of Excellence
- 60 students in the Senior Futures Program of Excellence
- 240 students in the Technology Futures Program of Excellence
Local catchment area
A school's local catchment area is the defined geographical area from which the school is to have its core intake of students.
Maryborough State High School operates under an equidistant catchment area.
The school's catchment map is available from
Applications from any other person, not meeting the criteria outlined above, is an out-of-catchment application. Enrolment of students from outside the local catchment area is restricted to ensure that enrolments do not exceed the Student Enrolment Capacity. This school can only enrol out-of-catchment students:
- if there is sufficient spare capacity after reserving places for students who move into the catchment during the year and
- after taking into account the school’s projected future enrolment growth.
Out-of-catchment students applying for enrolment at this school are placed on a waiting list, assessed in order of receipt and prioritised as follows.
For schools with a Program of Excellence:
- Subject to available Student Enrolment Capacity, places will only be available to out-of catchment enrolments if they satisfy the school’s criteria for placement in that particular Program of Excellence and the defined number of places has not yet been filled by enrolments from within the catchment. Sufficient Student Enrolment Capacity must be reserved for future in-catchment growth. (Please note: The enrolment criteria for the Program of Excellence is available from the school).
- All other out-of-catchment enrolment applications.
Enrolment policy and procedure
The enrolment policy includes further information about in-catchment and out-of-catchment enrolments, acceptance and assessment processes, as well as any associated fees and decisions on enrolments.
For further information regarding School Enrolment Management Plans, please refer to the
School Enrolment Management Plan Procedure or contact the
This updated version of the School Enrolment Management Plan for Maryborough State High School was gazetted on 6 May 2022.
The School Enrolment Management Plan is internally reviewed each year, and if required, updated to reflect any changes to student enrolment capacity and/or Programs of Excellence.