The STEM Taiwan Global Student Program targets high-performing Year 10 students who are currently studying Chinese and who have a strong interest in continuing their language and Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) subject(s) in senior years. The program provides students with a unique international learning opportunity to be immersed in a language and cultural environment and experience how STEM subjects are taught internationally.
The program will run in the December summer school holidays. Up to 10 eligible high-performing Year 10, Chinese language and STEM students will travel to New Taipei City, where they will experience school life and be given the opportunity to visit places of cultural and historical significance and can see how STEM subjects are taught in Taiwan.
This tour is targeting students who would otherwise not have the opportunity to experience another culture in an international environment.
- 12-day student program.
- The program is open to 10 Queensland students and provides the opportunity for students to experience a different culture and school life, and improve language skills.
- Two teacher chaperones will accompany the group for the duration of the tour.
- Accommodation and most meals (homestay).
- Final itinerary and details will be provided in an information session or workshop which the successful students and their families are required to attend.
- Teacher chaperones will be required to assist with the program planning, selection of students and pre/post-departure tasks.
- Students must have parent/guardian consent to submit an application.
- Student applications need to be submitted via the school and only 2 student applications per school will be accepted.
- Return airfares
- Land travel
- Travel insurance
- Most meals
- Visa (if required)
Application period: Applications open October (the year before travel).
Travel period: December 2020
Applications for Year 10 state school students (PDF, 637KB) in the year of travel studying STEM and Chinese (Mandarin) with a strong interest in continuing language and STEM studies are now open.
Wednesday 6 May 2020.
Applications for registered teachers (PDF, 615KB) from a Queensland (state) school are now open. Both Chinese (Mandarin) language and STEM teachers are encouraged to apply. Applications close
Wednesday 8 April 2020.
Global Engagement Unit
Phone: (07) 3513 5756