Home education in Queensland is regulated by the Education (General Provisions) Act 2006 (the 'Act').

If you wish to register your child for home education in Queensland, you must submit an application for registration for home education and supporting information. Applications for home education registration can be made at any time during the year.

To apply for registration:

If all procedural requirements are satisfied and the educational program to be delivered is of high quality (a standard of registration), your application will progress to registration.

Your child should remain at school until your application for registration has been submitted to the Home Education Unit (HEU).

Refer to the Home education in Queensland (PDF, 546KB) procedure for an overview of home education in Queensland.

For registration to remain current, you must continue to comply with the standard conditions under section 217 of the Act:

  • Provision of high quality education for your child.
  • Provision of an annual written report on your child's educational progress at least 2 months but not more than 3 months before each anniversary of the registration.
  • Notification of any change of address of your child's usual place of residence within 28 days of the change.

Frequently asked questions

How long does registration last?
Once granted, registration does not expire. However, registration of a child for home education is subject to the standard conditions of registration, including reporting requirements which need to be met each year in the tenth month of your child's registration. Information about these requirements is emailed to you via a detailed reporting pack in the sixth month of registration. If the report on your child's educational progress is not received by the HEU within the required time period, the registration may be cancelled. You would be notified via a show cause notice if this was to happen. At reporting time, you are also required to provide an updated summary of the educational program.
What should I do if I change my address or contact details?

If your child's usual place of residence changes, you are required by the Act to advise the HEU within 28 days after the change happens. To advise of a change of address, or any other change regarding registration—for example, updated court orders concerning your child—please notify the HEU using the Change of personal details for home education (DOCX, 102KB) form. A new registration certificate needs to be issued with your child's correct residential address.

What should I do if I need to cease the registration?

An enrolment at school or participation in another full-time eligible learning option means that registration needs to be surrendered by a parent.

Registration is surrendered by notifying the HEU. When doing so, please advise the name of the school the child is to attend (if applicable).

Is it possible for my child to sit for the Year 3, 5, 7 or 9 National Assessment Program: Literacy and Numeracy tests (NAPLAN)?

Yes. Participation in the NAPLAN tests is generally available through your local school.

NAPLAN testing is only done at a school and within the school's testing timetable. Schools do try to accommodate the home educated child; however, a school may have a particular difficulty that prevents supervision. If a school cannot provide supervision, then your child is not able to sit the tests.

Prior to the tests in May each year, all parents with eligible children are contacted by the HEU with written information about the tests. A letter of introduction is supplied (by request) to assist you in your discussions with a school near you.

Can my child access dental services if they are registered for home education?

Yes. Your child can access publicly funded oral health care if they meet the eligibility criteria. Further information is available on the Queensland Health Dental services for children and te​enagers page.

Can my child participate in district and regional sports?

Yes. The HEU holds an affiliation with Queensland School Sport. A parent of a child who wishes to participate in the various sports available at this representative level should contact the HEU for specific details.

Can my child undertake work experience?

Yes. A child registered for home education who is aged 14 or over can participate in work experience. Eligible children are able to complete a maximum of 30 days in a calendar year. Children with a disability may be approved to work more than 30 days.

Can I access Scootle to support the teaching and learning of my child?

Yes. Scootle is a web based resource bank which provides digital teaching and learning content linked to the Australian Curriculum. The resource bank is published by Education Services Australia.

Last updated 23 December 2021