Home education


Important message regarding Textbook and Resource Allowance

The Home Education Unit (HEU) facilitates payment of the annual Textbook and Resource Allowance (TRA) to parents of children registered for home education who are age equivalent to Years 7 to 12.

Letters will be posted to parents of eligible children in the week ending 12 March 2021. The form must be completed and returned to the HEU by 22 March 2021 (preferably by email).

TRA payments will be processed by the School Financial Services Team and will be completed by the end of April.

A second round of TRA payments, will be processed in August for eligible children registered for home education who have not previously claimed in 2021.

In Queensland, registration for home education is a legal option for the provision of your child's education. Home education means the education of the child provided by one or both of the child’s parents, or a registered teacher, primarily at the child’s usual place of residence.

Information about enrolment at a school of distance education, where children do their school work at home using a school provided curriculum, should be sought directly from the school.

To be eligible for home education, your child must be at least 5 years and 6 months and less than 18 years on 31 December in the year registration takes effect. A child cannot be simultaneously registered for home education and enrolled in a school.

Your responsibilities

To register your child for home education, you will be required to:

  • apply for registration for your child, using the approved application for registration for home education form
  • continue to meet the standard conditions of registration, which include the submission of an annual report demonstrating the educational progress of your child.

Home Education Unit

The Home Education Unit (HEU) can assist you to understand your obligations in meeting the standard conditions of home education registration.

Preparing an application

If you wish to register your child for home education in Queensland, you must submit an application for registration for home education form and a summary of the educational program to be provided. There are no fees associated with the registration of a child for home education.

To apply for registration:


If all procedural requirements are met and the chief executive is satisfied the standard conditions of registration will be complied with, registration is granted and a certificate of registration is issued.


For registration to remain current, you must continue to comply with the standard conditions of registration which include the submission of an annual report on your child's educational progress.

Senior Secondary

Your child may be registered for home education, and remain registered, until 31 December of the year they turn 17. The HEU provides additional information about home education during the Senior Phase of Learning.


 Frequently asked questions

Last updated 10 March 2021