Parents play a crucial role in developing resilient children who enjoy positive mental health and wellbeing. It is important that parents have access to accurate information and feel confident about managing the emotional and social wellbeing of their children.
The following links provide practical information for how families can promote positive mental health and wellbeing, factual information about mental health conditions and community agencies that can provide support.
BeyondBlue is a National Depression Initiative that gives a range of information on depression and supports available to people suffering depression and their family.
CYMHS (Child Youth Mental Health Services) provides information about referral requirements and includes opening times and contact information.
Headspace provides helpful information for parents about boys and girls, adolescents, emotional development, parenting practices and how best to support children and young people.
RAP-P (Resourceful Adolescent Program-Parent Program) is designed to help parents promote the optimal family environment for healthy adolescent development.
KidsMatter is the national initiative for mental health promotion, prevention and early intervention in primary schools. It provides a comprehensive whole-school framework designed to build schools' capacities for supporting student mental health and wellbeing focussing on four areas: A positive school community, Social and emotional learning for students, Parenting support and education and Early intervention for students experiencing mental health difficulties.
MindMatters is a national mental health and wellbeing initiative that includes a resource, website and professional development calendar. MindMatters aims to:
- embed promotion, prevention and early intervention activities for mental health and wellbeing in Australian secondary schools
- enhance the development of school environments where young people feel safe, valued, engaged and purposeful
- develop the social and emotional skills required to meet life's challenges
- help school communities create a climate of positive mental health and wellbeing
- develop strategies to enable a continuum of support for students with additional needs in relation to mental health and wellbeing
- enable schools to better collaborate with families and the health sector.